A Parallel Import Licence permits the importation of a medicinal product that already has a marketing authorization in Cyprus, and may be imported at the same time by the holder of the parallel import license, provided that the parallel imported medicinal product also has a marketing authorization in the Member State. The conditions which must be met in order to apply for a parallel import licence for a medicinal product are:
1. The name of the parallel imported medicinal product must be the same as the name of the reference product (the licensed product in Cyprus).
2. The reference product has a marketing authorisation via the National, Mutual Recognition (MRP) or Decentralized (DCP) procedure in Cyprus.
3. The reference product does not have a special marketing authorization in Cyprus.
4. The reference product does not have a centralised marketing authorization.
5. The product is sufficiently similar to the reference product in accordance with the definitions of Articles 21-25 of Law N70(I)/2001 amendment 2 of Law 13(I) of 2005
6. The applicant must be a holder of a wholesale dealer΄s licence
7. The parallel imported medicinal product must have a marketing authorisation in the country of origin
8. The parallel imported medicinal product must only be imported from other Member States.
The Medicines Council, taking into consideration the opinion of the subcommittee of the Medicines Council, and not more than 45 days from the date of submission of the application, assesses the application and informs the applicant in writing.